June Job Report: U.S. Adds 209,000 Jobs
The United States added 209,000 new jobs in June. Although this was another consecutive month for jobs added in the U.S. hiring appeared to slow in June.
The U.S. unemployment rate fell by 0.1 percentage point to 3.6% in June.
Is the U.S. job market growing?
In June 2023, added jobs slowed from the 339,000 jobs added in May to 209,000 while wages continued to increase month over month, leaving some to wonder what this means for a looming recession.
As the U.S. labor market hits the back half of 2023 much remains to be seen where employment growth is concerned.
U.S. unemployment rates by group:
- Adult women: 3.1%
- Adult men: 3.4%
- Teenagers: 11%
- Whites: 3.1%
- Blacks: 6%
- Asians: 3.2%
- Hispanics: 4.3%
Additional employment statistics for June 2023:
- The number of discouraged workers, who believed that no jobs were available for them, decreased by 112,000 to 310,000 in June.
- The number of individuals who have been without a job for 27 weeks or more accounted for 18.5% of the total unemployed.
- The number of workers employed part-time for economic reasons increased by nearly half a million in June to 4.2 million.
U.S. industries with notable job growth in June
Government employment continued to increase in June by 60,000 jobs.
Most of these jobs were comprised of state government and local government positions.
Healthcare job growth remained steady with 41,000 jobs added in June.
The subsectors trending upwards most were in hospitals with 15,000 jobs added, nursing and residential care facilities with 12,000 jobs added, and home health care services with 9,000 jobs added.
Social assistance jobs like those in individual and family services increased by 24,000 jobs in June.
Social assistance jobs have averaged 22,000 per month for the first half of 2023, slightly up from the 19,000 per month average in 2022. The rest of 2023 will determine if these numbers hold.
Looking to hire top-tier Tech, Digital Marketing, or Creative Talent? We can help.
Every year, Mondo helps to fill over 2,000 open positions nationwide.
More articles about hiring and industry trends:
- Big Tech Job Cuts Don’t Mean Demand for Tech Professionals Is Over
- Challenges Faced by the Banking Industry in the Digital Age
- The World of Robotics: Industries Leveraging Robotics Engineers
- How to Use Digital Transformation to Stay Ahead in the Manufacturing Industry
- Salesforce Admin Jobs to Hire to Get the Most Out of Your Investment
- Benefits of Digital Transformation in Healthcare with Examples
- HR Technology in Hiring: Streamlining Your Recruitment & Onboarding
- 4 Simple Resume Tips to Help You Hire Job Candidates Faster