July Job Report: US Adds 187,000 Jobs
The United States added 187,000 new jobs in July. Although this was another consecutive month for jobs added in the U.S. hiring appeared to slow in July.
The U.S. unemployment rate fell by 0.1 percentage point to 3.5% in July.
Is the U.S. job market growing?
In July 2023, added jobs slowed for the second month in a row from 209,000 jobs added in June to 187,000.
In addition, average hourly earnings rose by 14 cents, or 0.4%, to $33.74 in July.
U.S. unemployment rates by group:
- Adult women: 3.1%
- Adult men: 3.3%
- Teenagers: 11.3%
- Whites: 3.1%
- Blacks: 5.8%
- Asians: 2.3%
- Hispanics: 4.4%
Additional employment statistics for July 2023:
- The number of discouraged workers, who believed that no jobs were available for them, increased marginally from 310,000 in June to 335,000 in July.
- Over the past 12 months, average hourly earnings have increased by 4.4%.
- The number of workers employed part-time for economic reasons changed little from 4.2 million in June to 4 million in July.
U.S. industries with notable job growth in July
Healthcare job growth remained steady with 63,000 jobs added in July.
The subsectors trending upwards most were in ambulatory health care services with 35,000 jobs added, hospitals with 16,000 jobs added, and nursing and residential care facilities with 12,000 jobs added.
Social assistance jobs like those in individual and family services increased by 24,000 jobs in July.
The highest gains were seen in individual and family services with 19,000 jobs added over the month.
Financial activities bumped government job growth from the top 3 in July with an increase of 19,000 jobs.
Most of these jobs were in real estate and rental and leasing.
Looking to hire top-tier Tech, Digital Marketing, or Creative Talent? We can help.
Every year, Mondo helps to fill over 2,000 open positions nationwide.
More articles about hiring and industry trends:
- Big Tech Job Cuts Don’t Mean Demand for Tech Professionals Is Over
- Challenges Faced by the Banking Industry in the Digital Age
- The World of Robotics: Industries Leveraging Robotics Engineers
- How to Use Digital Transformation to Stay Ahead in the Manufacturing Industry
- Salesforce Admin Jobs to Hire to Get the Most Out of Your Investment
- Benefits of Digital Transformation in Healthcare with Examples
- HR Technology in Hiring: Streamlining Your Recruitment & Onboarding
- 4 Simple Resume Tips to Help You Hire Job Candidates Faster