October Job Report: US Adds 150,000 Jobs
The United States added 150,000 new jobs in October, below the average monthly gain of 258,000 over the past 12 months.
Additionally, the U.S. unemployment rate slightly increased to 3.9% in October.
Is the U.S. job market growing?
In October 2023, the U.S. added 150,000 jobs, showing a decline in job growth compared to the 360,000 jobs added in September of this year.
U.S. unemployment rates by group:
- Adult women: 3.3%
- Adult men: 3.7%
- Teenagers: 13.2%
- Whites: 3.5%
- Blacks: 5.8%
- Asians: 3.1%
- Hispanics: 4.8%
Additional employment statistics for October 2023:
- The count of discouraged workers, who are a part of the marginally attached group and believe there are no jobs available for them, saw minimal change over the month, standing at 416,000.
- The average hourly earnings for all employees on private nonfarm payrolls increased by 7 cents, or 0.2%, to $34.00, marking a 4.1% rise over the past 12 months.
- Employment in government increased by 51,000 in October and has returned to its pre-pandemic February 2020 level.
U.S. industries with notable job growth in October:
Healthcare added 58,000 jobs in October, in line with the average monthly gain of 53,000 over the prior 12 months.
Employment continued to trend up in ambulatory health care services adding 32,000 jobs, hospitals added 18,000, and nursing and residential care facilities added 8,000.
Social assistance added 19,000 jobs in October, slightly below the average monthly gain of 23,000 over the prior 12 months.
Employment continued to trend up in individual and family services adding 14,000 jobs.
Government employment increased by 51,000, aligning with the average monthly gain of 50,000 over the last year.
Most notably, employment continued to trend up in local government with 38,000 jobs added.
Construction employment continued to trend up with 23,000 jobs, surpassing the average monthly gain of 18,000 over the prior 12 months.
Employment continued to trend up over the month in specialty trade contractors with 14,000 jobs added and construction of buildings with 6,000 jobs.
Looking to hire top-tier Tech, Digital Marketing, or Creative Talent? We can help.
Every year, Mondo helps to fill over 2,000 open positions nationwide.
More articles about hiring and industry trends:
- How Executive Recruiters Ease Your Hiring Process
- What to Do When You Have Urgent Hiring Needs
- The Agricultural Revolution and the Role of AI
- Ultimate Year-End Management Checklist for Leaders to Ring in The New Year
- Generative AI & Its Impact on the Job Market: It’s Not All Bad News
- Understanding GenAI and Maximizing Its Potential in Business
- The Future of Recruiting: Top 10 Challenges in Tech and Digital Hiring
- The Rise of Working Moms & the Role of Remote Work
- How to Recruit Top Data Scientists in a Competitive Job Market
- Lessons From Unicorn Companies: Hiring Strategies for Rapid Growth