September Job Report: US Adds 360,000 Jobs
The United States added 360,000 new jobs in September, above the average monthly gain of 267,000 over the past 12 months.
In addition, the U.S. unemployment rate remained unchanged at 3.8% in September.
Is the U.S. job market growing?
In September 2023, while the U.S. added 360,000 jobs compared to the 187,000 added in August of this year, there was close to zero job growth.
U.S. unemployment rates by group:
- Adult women: 3.1%
- Adult men: 3.8%
- Teenagers: 11.6%
- Whites: 3.4%
- Blacks: 5.7%
- Asians: 2.8%
- Hispanics: 4.6%
Additional employment statistics for September 2023:
- The U.S. job market added 360,000 jobs in September, 93,000 than the average monthly gain.
- Employment in food services and drinking places rose by 61,000 over the month and has returned to its pre-pandemic February 2020 level.
- Employment in government is slightly below (-9,000) its February 2020 level.
U.S. industries with notable job growth in September
Healthcare job growth remained steady with 41,000 jobs added in September, but 13,000 less than the average monthly gain over the last 12 months.
The subsectors that accounted for the majority of this growth were ambulatory health care services with 24,000 jobs added, nursing and residential care facilities with over 8,000 jobs added, and hospitals with 8,000 jobs added.
Leisure and hospitality
In September, leisure and hospitality saw a notable spike in growth with 96,000 jobs added.
A huge gain in jobs over the previous 12-month average of 61,000.
In September, employment in social assistance rose by 25,000 jobs, slightly less than the August average of 26,000.
Individual and family services accounted for about 76% of social assistance jobs added in September.
Scientific, technical, and professional services
Employment in professional, scientific, and technical services increased by 29,000 in September, in line with the average monthly gain of 27,000 over the prior 12 months.
Government employment increased by 73,000, which was well above the monthly gain of 47,000 that has been steady over the last year.
State government education added 29,000 jobs, and local government 27,000.
Looking to hire top-tier Tech, Digital Marketing, or Creative Talent? We can help.
Every year, Mondo helps to fill over 2,000 open positions nationwide.
More articles about hiring and industry trends:
- Big Tech Job Cuts Don’t Mean Demand for Tech Professionals Is Over
- Challenges Faced by the Banking Industry in the Digital Age
- The World of Robotics: Industries Leveraging Robotics Engineers
- How to Use Digital Transformation to Stay Ahead in the Manufacturing Industry
- Salesforce Admin Jobs to Hire to Get the Most Out of Your Investment
- Benefits of Digital Transformation in Healthcare with Examples
- HR Technology in Hiring: Streamlining Your Recruitment & Onboarding
- 4 Simple Resume Tips to Help You Hire Job Candidates Faster