April Job Growth Report: U.S. Adds 253,000 Jobs
U.S. Jobs Report for April, 2023
In another month of consecutive job growth, April saw 253,000 new jobs added, continuing the upward trend in employment so far in 2023.
The U.S. unemployment rate changed little falling from 3.5% in March to 3.4% in April.
Is the U.S. job market growing?
With the unemployment rate changing little over the past 12-plus months, and the number of unemployed individuals remaining around 5.7 million, these metrics have shown little change
since early 2022.
U.S. unemployment rates by group:
- Adult women: 3.1%
- Adult men: 3.3%
- Teenagers: 9.2%
- Whites: 3.1%
- Blacks: 4.7%
- Asians: 2.8%
- Hispanics: 4.4%
Additional employment statistics for April 2023:
- The number of discouraged workers, who believed that no jobs were available for them, rose slightly from 351,000 in March to 364,000 in April.
- Average hourly earnings increased by 16 cents in April in addition to the increase of 9 cents in March.
- The number of workers employed part-time for economic reasons remained unchanged at 3.9 million.
U.S. industries with notable job growth in April
Professional and business services
Professional and business services jobs continue to trend upward adding 43,000 jobs in April.
In addition to that, professional, scientific, and technical services added 45,000 jobs.
Healthcare saw notable gains in jobs with 40,000 added in April.
The subsectors trending upwards most were
in ambulatory health care services, adding 24,000 jobs, nursing and residential
care facilities, adding 9,000), and hospitals with 7,000 jobs added.
Leisure and hospitality
Leisure and hospitality saw 31,000 jobs added in April with 25,000 of those jobs going to food services and drinking places.
Despite these gains, employment in this industry is lower than its pre-pandemic, February 2020 level by 2.4%.
Looking to hire top-tier Tech, Digital Marketing, or Creative Talent? We can help.
Every year, Mondo helps to fill over 2,000 open positions nationwide.
More articles about hiring and industry trends:
- Big Tech Job Cuts Don’t Mean Demand for Tech Professionals Is Over
- Challenges Faced by the Banking Industry in the Digital Age
- The World of Robotics: Industries Leveraging Robotics Engineers
- How to Use Digital Transformation to Stay Ahead in the Manufacturing Industry
- Salesforce Admin Jobs to Hire to Get the Most Out of Your Investment
- Benefits of Digital Transformation in Healthcare with Examples
- HR Technology in Hiring: Streamlining Your Recruitment & Onboarding
- 4 Simple Resume Tips to Help You Hire Job Candidates Faster